Meet Dr. Keith Keitz

Dr. Keith Keitz in the LabMeet Dr. Keith Keitz, Texas ChE assistant professor and alumnus of the department (B.S. ’07). Keitz’s research focuses on the interface of synthetic chemistry and synthetic biology with the aim of using synthetic constructs to control biological processes involved in neurodegeneration, gene regulation and biological materials synthesis.

Prior to joining Texas ChE, Keitz was a postdoctoral scholar at the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of California, San Francisco. He received his bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from UT Austin and his Ph.D. in chemistry from the California Institute of Technology, where he received the Herbert Newby McCoy Award for best dissertation thesis.

What attracted you to UT Austin?
I grew up nearby and I received my undergraduate degree from UT Austin. Both my parents were Longhorns, so I couldn’t say no to a position at UT Austin without causing some serious family drama. Most importantly, this is a fantastic university, especially the Cockrell School, and the students here are truly exceptional.

What do you enjoy most about engineering or your specific field?
I love the variety of research in chemical engineering and feel it’s well-suited to tackle many of the technical issues our society faces.

What are your favorite hobbies?
Reading, soccer, sketching and graphic design.

With research interests such as artificial intelligence, early cancer diagnosis, materials science and retrofit methods of aging structures, this year’s incoming Cockrell School of Engineering faculty members exhibit a wide range of engineering expertise. Learn more about the new faculty here.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted on: