Writing His Bicycle to Alaska

It’s been a month since UT ChE undergraduate Do Soon Kim climbed on his bike and hit the road with 42 other University of Texas students to cycle 4,500 miles from Austin to Anchorage to raise money for cancer research this summer.

The ride, known as Texas4000, is the world’s longest charity bike ride.  Throughout the 70-day trip, the students cross all kinds of terrain, putting in long hours on their bikes.  Without much capacity for gear, they camp or sleep where they can.  Do Soon has found himself sleeping in bedrooms, hallways, nurseries, gyms, churches, classrooms, vans, basements and on patios and couches.

To date, Do Soon has raised a well-earned $4,634.14, but there is still time to donate and help a good cause. Follow his adventure by reading his blog Writing my bicycle to Alaska. In his introductory post, Do Soon said:

“I started this blog to leave my perspective and an account of my experiences. Some of the entries will speak to you, the reader. Some of the entries will speak to specific people that I am reminded of on the ride. Some will be short, some will be long. There won’t be much structure, and I prefer it that way; it leaves a hint of rawness that accompanies the notion of 42 college students riding their bicycles to Alaska.”

A few photo entry highlights from Do Soon’s blog include:

July 1, 2012

Grand Tetons, Yellowstone National Park

The Grand Tetons, Yellowstone National Park. They have a way of making you feel small, but significant.”

June 28, 2012

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

There are many things in life that are much, much greater than men.” (Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs)

June 14, 2012

Picture of an open road in Colorado with a thunderstorm ahead on the horizon

“Crossed into Colorado today. Let the climbing begin.”

May 28, 2012

Do Soon and a dog

“I thought I’d give you some background information about me through this journey. First: I love dogs. I really, really love dogs.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted on: