California State Polytechnic University, Pomona-Assistant or Associate Professor
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
College of Engineering
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
DEPARTMENT: The Chemical & Materials Engineering Department invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor to begin in fall 2012.
POSITION TITLE, SALARY, AND DESCRIPTION: This tenure-track position will start in September 2012 and be at the Assistant or Associate Professor level, depending on the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Salary is competitive and the benefits package is broad and attractive. The position requires excellence in teaching and advising, professional and scholarly achievements, and service to the university.
Chemical Engineering faculty teach a broad range of Chemical Engineering courses and laboratories including stoichiometry, thermodynamics, transport phenomena, unit operations, process design, and emerging technologies in chemical engineering. The successful candidate will be expected to develop funded research projects that involve undergraduate students, and engage in all other normal faculty responsibilities and activities such as committee service, student advising, and professional development. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
· An earned doctorate in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biomolecular Engineering or similarly named engineering program from an accredited university by August 2012,
· Demonstrable skills/potential for teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, and in developing and implementing laboratory-based experiments
· Demonstrable experience/interest in establishing and maintaining sponsored research in a field related to Chemical Engineering,
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and
· Commitment to and/or experience in educating a diverse student population.
· An undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering preferably from an ABETaccredited or equivalent program,
· Demonstrable and practical skills in teaching a broad range of courses and laboratories in Chemical Engineering including thermodynamics, transport, unit
operations, stoichiometry, process design, reaction kinetics, process control and emerging technologies in chemical engineering,
· Ability to support and assist in major departmental, college, and university level initiatives, e.g., strategic planning, outcomes assessment, laboratory revitalization, curriculum design, etc.,
· Record of publication in scholarly journals, and
· Ability to work with others in a multi-disciplinary environment.
Application Procedure: A completed application will consist of:
· a cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications outlined in the minimum and preferred qualifications, as listed above,
· a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers
and email addresses of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s professional experience, accomplishments and promise,
· a completed university application form,
· a transcript showing the highest degree earned, and finalists for the position will be required to provide three recent and signed letters of
This position will remain open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received by December 12, 2011. Early response is encouraged and priority will be given to applications postmarked by this date. All materials submitted by the candidate will be available for examination by all faculty in the Chemical & Materials Engineering Department. Candidates selected for an on campus interview will be required to make a scholarly presentation to the faculty/staff/students. Please address all nominations, inquiries, requests for application forms, and application forms, and application materials to:
Chair, Chemical Engineering Faculty Search Committee,
Chemical and Materials Engineering Department,
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona,
3801 West Temple Avenue, Pomona, CA 91768.
The university: Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our ethnically diverse student population of approximately 20,000 enrolls in 62 baccalaureate and 19 master’s degree programs presented by 1,100 faculty. We recruit students increasingly from throughout California and beyond. The students are success and career focused and extremely diverse. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W. K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in one of the most dynamic economic and cultural, regions in the country, and within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The University is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all
disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world. Additional information is available at the university’s website.
The department: The Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering serves approximately 275 majors in Chemical Engineering. In addition, the Materials
Engineering minor program serves the entire College of Engineering. The department also offers service courses to other majors within the college. The department actively pursues outcomes-based assessment to evaluate its effectiveness in promoting student learning and the success of its graduates. The department has established strong ties to local industry and its Industry Action Council is very active in supporting the programs. The faculty is very active in research and the students regularly present papers in conferences and have been recognized with awards at the local, regional, and national levels.
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on gender, race, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, age, religion, or veteran status. Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available online .