Camila Bastidas

Camila Bastidas poses for a photo.Classification: Senior

Hometown: Cali, Columbia

Research Area:Energy

Why I chose to study chemical engineering: Math and chemistry were my favorite classes in high school and I wanted to study something that fused the two fields. Chemical engineering connects with all other fields of engineering, making it a very versatile major that can offer a broad range of opportunities. I specifically chose to study chemical engineering at The University of Texas at Austin because it’s an elite program with a  close-knit, family feel within the department.

The most interesting thing I learned in class my first year: The best part of the first year is all of the concepts learned in class, especially in chemistry lab, from problems on paper that are solved with a calculator, to problems that occur in real life. The big difference from high school is that professors make sure you see the big picture. Seeing that transition was very interesting and made me even more intrigued and curious to continue with my major. I couldn’t find a single thing that wasn’t interesting. In general, I enjoyed all of my classes and they got me even more excited about chemical engineering.

My favorite place to eat in Austin: I enjoy eating at Mandola’s Italian Market. They have the best Margherita pizza and gelato ice cream.  A friend of mine introduced it to me at orientation my freshman year, and I fell in love. It’s definitely one of Austin’s many treasures.

Student involvement: I’m involved in AIChE, Society of Women Engineers, and Pi Sigma Pi. All of these organizations make it very easy to meet other engineering students. Having companies at the meetings helps students become familiar with what the “real world” is like as a chemical engineer and learn what companies are looking for.

Three things most people don’t know about me:

1. I’m a certified Zumba instructor.

2. I was valedictorian of my high school.

3. I was born in Cali, Colombia.

Posted on: