Sean O’Keefe and Jessica Hung named TAs of the Year

Sean O’Keefe and Jessica Hung have been named the TAs of the Year for their work on ChE 387K Advanced Thermodynamics and ChE 363 Separation Processes and Mass Transfer, respectively. Both O’Keefe and Hung will each be awarded the Paige H. and J. Jeff Weidner Endowed Presidential Fellowship in Chemical Engineering worth $3,500.

Head shot of Sean OKeefe, TA of the Year award winnerIn the evaluation of O’Keefe’s performance, the students used terms including – patient, respectful and attentive. “[Sean] went way above expectations to make sure we understood any small mistakes,” one evaluation stated. “He was by far the best TA I have ever had.”

“This course is very mathematical and Sean is an excellent mathematician,” Dr. Isaac Sanchez, professor of ChE 387K, said. “He was able to provide the students with very helpful insights to solve problems and the graduate students in the class loved him.”

“I’m honored that I did a job well enough for my performance to be considered award worthy,” O’Keefe said. “Every student in this particular class was an incoming graduate student and they were all very motivated and intelligent. To me, knowing that I was selected based on TA evaluations by this outstanding collective, makes the award even more amazing.”

Head shot of Jessica Hung, TA of the Year award winnerHung’s students described her as very knowledgeable, receptive of questions, patient and a good communicator.

“Due to the fast pace of ChE 363, her recitation sessions were instrumental in helping students master the course material,” Dr. Keith Johnston, professor of the course, said of Hung. “Jessica played an integral role in helping the students succeed.”

“I enjoy helping others learn and grow as students and professionals, and I am gratified that the students found my teaching helpful enough to nominate me for this award through their favorable evaluations,” Hung said. “I also appreciate the department and my adviser giving me this opportunity to serve as a TA and develop teaching experience.”

The department is pleased to recognize the level of effort given and performance above and beyond expectations by these two exceptional TAs.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted on: