Jose Noguera

Headshot of Jose NogueraClassification: Senior

Hometown: Houston, Texas

Research Area: Surfactants for Enhanced Oil Recovery Applications

Why I chose to study Chemical Engineering: I wanted to study something that would enable me to enact change in the energy industry throughout my professional career.

My advice for incoming Freshmen: 1. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, but realize that some mistakes are more expensive than others to make. 2. Mistakes are only worthwhile if you learn something from making them.

What I love about Austin: I love how there is always something to do in Austin. The city is full of opportunities to spend time outside of school to de-stress.

My biggest challenge since coming to college: Understanding myself better has been challenging yet very rewarding. In the past three years I have grown up so much, and I’ve come to understand myself very well through that process.

Three things most people don’t know about me:

1. I love to cook, especially new recipes. I love seeing my efforts pay off, and cooking is just another manifestation of that in my life.
  2. I try to always have a positive outlook in my life. There’s so much to complain about in our world that I prefer to highlight the good in my life that is sometimes not readily apparent.
  3. I love to laugh. I can appreciate terribly corny jokes, and I know how healthy it is to laugh at yourself sometimes, so much so that I tend to give people lots of reasons to laugh at me, but I’m a good sport.
Posted on: