Meet The OXE Officers

Ricardo de la Pena-PresidentName: Ricardo De La Pena
Position: President
Year: Fourth-year
Hometown: Torreon, Mexico

Why did you get involved with OXE? What do you like about it?

I got involved in OXE my first semester of my sophomore year. I joined because I thought it would be a great opportunity to meet more students in my classes and the ChE faculty. I would say that my favorite part about OXE is just getting to interact with the people in the organization. It is nice to get to know people in your classes better, and through OXE, I was able to make life-long friends.

Tell us about your role within OXE, what are your responsibilities?

As OXE’s president, I am mainly responsible for conducting general meetings and for supervising other officers’ activities.

What other organizations are you involved with at UT Austin?

I am also involved in Tau Beta Pi, the Nation Engineering Honor Society, and I have been doing research for the past five semesters.

What has been your favorite ChE class so far and why?

I really liked Transport and Thermodynamics. I liked these classes because I prefer theoretical material over applied material. I still thought they were very hard though.

What are your plans after graduation?

I want to go to grad school in an area related with bioengineering. After that, I want to return back home to Mexico in order to give back to my community. I am not sure yet how I will do this, but I know one day I will find a way to help and improve the lives of many.

Headshot of Rishi Garg-Vice PresidentName:
Rishi Garg
Position: Vice-president
Year: Fourth-year
Hometown: Portland, Oregon

I was invited to undergo the candidate process in fall 2011. I didn’t know much about OXE, but when I attended the info session, all the officers I met were extremely friendly and happy to help me. I really felt welcome and enjoyed the company of the other OXE members. This culture has carried on through my time in the department, and I hope to make new candidates feel welcome as well. My other favorite part about OXE: our office is huge, and it was recently renovated!

Tell us about your role within OXE- what are your responsibilities?

As Vice President, my responsibilities are to plan faculty fireside chats and the Pig Roast, and order and sell shirts. I also help unify the officer team and help the younger officers when needed. I have served previously as the corporate liaison and service chair.

I am the vice president of finance for the Student Engineering Council, and through that role, I am also a representative in the Senate of College Councils. Being involved outside the ChE department has allowed me to meet students from all over campus and get a broader perspective on life at UT Austin.

I really enjoyed ChE 354 (Ops 1) with Dr. Eldridge because I learned a lot of practical chemical engineering skills that can apply to a wide range of industrial applications. And, Dr. Eldridge is great!

What are your plans after graduation?

I would like to go directly into industry after graduation — but interviews are still going on and I don’t know exactly where I’ll be yet.

headshot of Kush Muzumdar-OXE ProcurementName:
 Kush Muzumdar
Position: Procurement
Year: Third-year
Hometown: Houston, TX

I had attended OXE meetings before I even received my invitation to join the organization, so I already knew a little bit about it.  My candidacy semester was an exciting one, and I felt that I wanted to continue to be involved with such a great organization.  My favorite part about being a member of OXE is the friendships that develop.

As the officer in charge of procurement, I am responsible for providing the (free!) food for the general meetings and for keeping the OXE room stocked with snacks and drinks for chemical engineering students.

I am a member-at-large in the Student Engineering Council (SEC), mainly working in Academic Affairs.  I am also an active member of AIChE (E-Week 2012 Champs!!)

Transport Processes (“Ops 1”), ChE 354, with Dr. Bruce Eldridge:  This class was by far the most interesting to me based on the material alone.  The fact that it was taught by one of my favorite professors in the department makes it without a doubt my favorite ChE class so far.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan on attending graduate school to obtain a Ph. D in chemical engineering.

Headshot of Theresa Wu-OXE Corporate LiaisonName: Teresa Wu
Position: Corporate Liaison
Year: Third-year
Hometown: The Woodlands, TX

I began getting involved in OXE because I knew it was a great organization composed of some of the most dedicated students in chemical engineering. The thing I enjoy most about OXE is the people-everyone is very nice and always willing to help in any situation.

I currently serve as the corporate liaison for OXE. My responsibilities involve contacting company representatives to present at our general meetings, Lunch and Learns, and any social events.

I am also involved in the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) and the Women in Engineering Program.

My favorite ChE class so far has been Unit Operations I with Dr. Eldridge. Dr. Eldridge is a phenomenal professor and he made the material very interesting. I also enjoyed seeing how the concepts that we learned in previous classes all came together to apply to real world processes.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation, I plan to work in the oil and gas industry as an upstream engineer.

Name: Sai Gourisankar
Position: Treasurer
Year: Third -year
Hometown: Fort Worth

I like the people in OXE-we share similar interests and have had a great time at OXE events. The atmosphere of camaraderie is what attracted me to OXE when I was a candidate.

I set a budget for all our activities, manage our account, reimburse officers, and promote fiscal responsibility.

Society of Plan II Engineers, AIChE, Plan II Music Society.

It would be a tie between Transport and Materials. I really enjoyed the theory in Transport, but was also excited by all the cool applications of chemical engineering (photovoltaics, LEDs, organic semiconductors, etc. ) presented in Materials.

What are your plans after graduation?

Grad school-then I’d like to make a billion dollars and buy a Ferrari.

Clarissa Wedemeyer-OXE SecretaryName:
Clarissa Wedemeyer
Position: Secretary
Year: Third-year
Hometown: Colleyville, Texas

I got involved with OXE so that I would become more a part of the chemical engineering community. I love that OXE is able to bring so many people together through the meetings and that the program is always growing with new candidates each semester.

My biggest role within OXE is ensuring that all of the candidates have everything they need to fulfill their requirements and become active members.

I volunteer as a mentor with the WEP Pal program

I really enjoyed my transport class. It was a ton of work, but I felt like I learned so many things. Professor Ganesan did an amazing job of explaining all of the concepts.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation, I want to go work in industry.

Hanbi Liu-HistorianName:
Hanbi Liu
Position: Historian
Year:  Third-year
Hometown: Houston

I got to know some of the officers from OXE when I was a freshman and I was invited to join OXE my sophomore year. I liked the fact that OXE provides a convenient and comfortable environment for students to study in groups and get to know each other through that process.

I am responsible for making flyers for OXE events and taking pictures during meetings. The pictures will be used in many ways including in the display case in the department’s undergraduate hallway and for tracking candidate initiation progress. I also attend OXE events as much as possible to get to know members and candidates in person, which, in my opinion, is one of the most enjoyable things about my involvement with OXE.

I am the historian of AIChE, and I really enjoy developing the website to make it a beneficial resource for undergraduate students in chemical engineering.

I really enjoyed CHE 317 Intro to Chemical Engineering Analysis. It was simple and very useful, it provided fundamental skills a chemical engineer will use.

What are your plans after graduation?

I have not fully decided between graduate school and going into industry yet–I find both options attractive in their own ways.

Kevin Fu-Social ChairName: Kevin Fu
Position: Social Chair
Year: Fourth-year
Hometown: Sugar Land, TX

It all started with putt-putt golf. I originally had planned on going to Ramshorn Retreat that day but decided to skip out on the retreat to go putt-putt with OXE officers and candidates. I had such a great time that I decided to complete the candidate requirements throughout the semester and decided to run for service chair my first semester as an officer. Now I am social chair, and I’m very excited about the events we are having this year.

I am in charge of organizing and heading OXE’s social events along with my co-chair Solomon Chang.

I participate in AIChE events and am also a part of the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers.

My favorite ChE class to this day is Transport Phenomena just because the class represents what chemical engineering is all about!

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to go into the oil and gas industry and work full-time.

Solomon Chang-Social ChairName:
 Solomon Chang
Position: Social Chair
Year: Third-year
Hometown: Sugar Land, TX

I got involved with OXE spring 2013 when I found out that I was invited!  My favorite part of OXE is that the officers are all really close and that the organization really gives a family feel to chemical engineering!

I’m the social chair along with my friend Kevin Fu. We are responsible for organizing 10 social events a semester to promote camaraderie between actives and recruits. Some of the events we’ve done have been bowling, socials at the Crown and Anchor, and laser tag!

I was a part of the Longhorn Powerlifting Club for two years. I had only lifted weights for about two months before I joined, but it was probably one of the best-and most terrifying-decisions I made my freshman year. I lifted at my first meet in February, and even though I didn’t do as great as I wish I would have, it was still a huge achievement and incredibly satisfying after two years of hard work. I’m not involved this semester because I want to focus more on tutoring and on finding a great co-op for 2014.

Transport Phenomena with Dr. Edison for sure. Transport is the coolest subject I’ve taken here. It’s so interesting to see how on a molecular level all the different types of transport are almost exactly the same. I also think being able to calculate the temperature anywhere in a slab or the velocity anywhere in a pipe is its own kind of superpower.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to work as a downstream process engineer, preferably with a refinery or chemical plant. In general, enjoy life and spend time with my parents.

Yawen Ren-Service ChairName:
 Yawen Ren
Position: Service Chair
Year: Third-year
Hometown: Houston, TX

Why did you get involved with OXE? What do you like about it?

A lot of the upperclassmen I knew were a part of OXE when I was a freshman and it always seemed like they had a lot of fun being involved, so I decided to join. I really enjoy how close everyone is within OXE. I like that I can walk into the OXE room anytime and have someone to chat with.

Tell us about your role within OXE, what are your responsibilities?

I’m one of the service chairs. I organize burger burns and service events for the semester.

At UT Austin, I’m mainly involved in Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers and the Engineering Chamber Orchestra (EChO). I am also a part of Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honor society.

Transport is definitely on my list of favorite CHE classes because it was the first class that introduced us to the extent of what chemical engineering can do. I like that the class was more math and theory based. I enjoyed learning about heat transfer and different cases of fluid flow.

What are your plans after graduation?

I’m planning to apply for medical school and looking towards a career in medicine.

Mark Tomasovic-OXE Social ChairName:
 Mark Tomasovic
Position: Social Chair
Year: Third-year
Hometown: Rowlett, Texas

I got involved with OXE because I looked up to the students who were in it. Students like Mikey Phan, Brian Wilson, and Julie Fogarty provided a great example of scholarship, leadership, and character. The active members of OXE were (and still are) always willing to help any student struggling to make it through the initial chemical engineering classes.

I really like the way that the organization reflects the attitude of the people who are in it. Students in OXE are extremely friendly and optimistic, and the whole organization works to benefit chemical engineering students.

To date, my responsibilities have included planning OXE hamburger grill-outs, known as Burger Burns, and other weekly service events. Once the new candidates have joined, candidates and I will be attending these service events in order to give back to the Austin community.

I’m involved in the Texas Wranglers and Tau Beta Pi. I also perform research on a CO2 scrubbing pilot plant at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus.

My favorite ChE class was Transport Phenomena. The class is known for being difficult, but the material exposes the students to the basic principles of chemical engineering. After this class, I had an idea of what I was getting myself into!

What are your plans after graduation?

My primary focus after graduation is to work in the oil and gas industry.

Roy Lei-OXE SEC RepName: Roy Lei
Position: SEC Rep
Year: Fourth-year
Hometown: Pasadena, Texas

I got involved with OXE because it has allowed many opportunities for me to network with companies, professors, and other top students. I like that I get to meet new people at every meeting.

I am the Student Engineering Council (SEC) Representative, which means I represent OXE in the UT Engineering Community. I attend weekly SEC meetings and interact with other representatives from other organizations.

I’m involved with the AIChE, Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC), and the Taiwanese American Student Association (TASA).

My favorite class has been Transport. I had Dr. Ganesan and he made the course really structured, clear, and interesting.

What are your plans after graduation?

I hope to attend medical school once I graduate.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted on: