Sharma, Mukul Ph.D.
W. A. “Tex” Moncrief, Jr. Centennial Chair in Petroleum Engineering
|Office:||CPE 5.118A||Mailing Address:|
|Phone:||(512) 471-3257||The University of Texas at Austin|
|Fax:||Department of Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering|
||200 E Dean Keeton St. Stop C0400|
|UT Mail:||Austin, TX 78712-1589|
Research Group Website
Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, University of Southern California (1985)
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Southern California (1981)
B.S., Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (1980)
|Formation Damage||Water / Waste Injection|
|Hydraulic Fracturing||Surface and Colloid Chemistry|
|Flow in Porous Media||Natural Gas Engineering|
Awards & Honors
SPE Anthony F. Lucas Gold Medal (2009)
SPE Distinguished Member (2004)
SPE Distinguished Lecturer (2004)
Editorial Review Board, SPE Journal (1996-2000)
Review Chairman, Society of Petroleum Engrs. (1995-96)
Technical Editor, Society of Petroleum Engineers (1992-95)
Martin Marietta Excellence in Teaching Award (1996)
Halliburton Foundation, Faculty Excellence Award (1994)
Engineering Foundation Faculty Leadership Award (1987)
Sun E&P Company Centennial Fellowship (1986-95)
Billy and Claude Hocott Distinguished Engineering
Research Award (2010)
Lester C. Uren Award, SPE (2003)
SPE Formation Evaluation Award (1998)
Shell Oil Foundation Faculty Fellowship (1985-88)
Associate Editor. The Log Analyst (1992-95)
SPWLA Education Foundation Award (1986)
ARCO Foundation Doctoral Fellowship (1983-85)
SPE Best PhD student paper (1983)
SPE Best PhD student paper (1983)
Member, Pi Epsilon Tau and Sigma Xi
- “Quantifying Transient Effects in Altered-stress Refracturing of Vertical Wells,” SPE 119522-PA, SPE Journal, Vol 15, No. 3, pp. 770-782, September 2010, Roussel, N.P. and Sharma, M. M.
- “A Model for Water Injection Into Frac-Packed Wells,” SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, Vol.13, N0. 03, pp. 449-464, June 2010, Suri A.; Sharma, M.M.
- “A New Solution to Restore Productivity of Gas Wells with Condensate and Water Blocks,” SPE 116711-PA, SPE Reservoir Evaluations & Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2 , pp. 323-331, April 2010, Bang, V., Pope, G.A., Sharma, M.M., Baran Jr., J.R., and Ahmadi, M.
- “Entrance Pressure of Oil-Based Mud Into Shale: Effect of Shale, Water Activity, and Mud Properties,” SPE Drilling & Completion, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 39-44, March 2010, Andres M. Oleas, SPE, Collins E. Osuji, Chenevert, M.E., and Sharma, M.M.
- “Fluid Selection for Energized Hydraulic Fractures,” Journal of Petroleum Technology, Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 42-49, March 2010, Freihauf K.E.; Sharma, M.M.
- “Method Optimizes Waterflood Projects,” The American Oil & Gas Reporter, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 122-129, February 2010, Chaban, F.R.; Suri, A.; Sharma, M.M.; Gibson G.T.
- “Phase Behavior Study of Hydrocarbon/Water/Methanol Mixtures at Resevoir Conditions,” SPEJ, Vol.xx, No.xx, pp.xx, pending publication, Bang, V.; Pope, G.A.; Sharma, M.M.
- “PEG-Coated Reverse Osmosis Membranes: Desalination Properties and Fouling Resistance,” Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 340, No. 1-2, pp. 92-108, September 2009, Sagle, A.C.; Van Wagner, E.M.; Ju, H.; McCloskey, B.D.; Freeman, B.D.; Sharma, M.M.
- “Effect of Non-Darcy Flow on Well Productivity in a Hydraulically Fractured Gas-Condensate Well,” SPE 103025, SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 576-585, August 2009, Mohan, J.; Pope, G.A. Sharma, M.M.
- “Effect of Crossflow Testing Conditions, Including Feed pH and Continuous Feed Filtration, on Commerical Reverse Osmosis Membrane Performance,” Journal of Membrance Science, Vol. 345, pp. 97-109, August 2009, Van Wagner, E.M.; Sagle, A.C.; Sharma, M.M.; Freeman, B.D.
- “PEG-Based Hydrogel Membrane Coatings,” Polymer, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 756-766, January 2009, Sagle, A.C.; Ju, H.; Freeman, B.D.; Sharma, M.M.
- “Factors Controlling the Membrane Efficiency of Shales When Interacting with Water-Based and Oil-Based Muds,” SPE 100735, SPE Drilling & Completion Journal, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 150-158, June 2008, Zhang, J.; Al-Bazali, T.M.; Chenevert, M.E.; Sharma, M.M.